Monday, February 12, 2007

Mirror, mirror







This is from Saturday. The day I moved down to 4th position for the biggest smile from Maya. Beehet, Darhan, her Mother, all stepped down to the new reigning Queen, Maya herself. There is a big inflatable castle in the corner of the room against the mirror. We decided to check it out. Maya discovered the mirror and the rest of the session was spent with her cracking up at her reflection or pulling my hair.

The other 4 families went to court on Friday so lots of discussion about how it went. What questions were they asked. How was the Judge, the prosecutor, how long it took....it felt a lot like back in college searching the dorm for someone that already took the final you're about to take. The questions, the questions....The coordinators prepare us as best they can for what we may be asked. I went through a mini, mini version of this on the day I met Maya.

Before going to the Baby House that first day, we went to the Ministry of Education. It looks and feels like any government building, long hallways and sterile. We entered into a small room and were greeted by 2 women. Beehet and the 2 women started talking in Russian, seemed friendly, there was some smiling. Then Beehet motioned for me to have a seat. Gusanna stood as did the woman who would be asking the questions. The tone of the room changed and I got nervous. The questions started out pretty routine, all translated by Gusanna. Do I understand the laws of adoption in Kazakhstan, do I understand my obligation to complete post placement reports....I started to relax a bit. Next question, I look to Gusanna and she translates in the same monotone, "Do you have boyfriend?" Probably a release of tension, but I burst out laughing. Did we go from interrogation to girl talk? Four eyes glaring at me in silence. Guess not. "No, no I do not currently have a boyfriend." Next question, "What will you do if you want to marry a man that does not like your child?" Oh, that is where they were going with this. Ok, easy. "I couldn't love with a man who didn't love my child." I was tempted to add.....or my dogs. Probably not relevant. Beehet told me to expect this question in court as well. I won't laugh. From there we went to the Baby House to meet my angel love.

I just talked to my Mom. Through the computer! For free! Technology is so cool when it isn't frustrating the hell out of me.

3 days to court!

No comments: