Thursday, January 04, 2007

About Kazakhstan




When Vi mentioned this country as an option I didn't even know where it was. Kazakhstan is located between Russia and China. It is actually the 9th largest country in the world, roughly 4 times the size of Texas but with only 15 million people.
A great resource for information on any country is The CIA Worldbook www.cia.gov
"Native Kazakhs, a mix of Turkic and Mongol nomadic tribes who migrated into the region in the 13th century, were rarely united as a single nation. The area was conquered by Russia in the 18th century, and Kazakhstan became a Soviet Republic in 1936. Independence came in 1991. "

Contrary to what "Borat" would have people believe, Kazakhstan cities are pretty modern. Adult literacy is 99.5% literacy rate and women are represented in every profession. In fact, laws against homosexuality were defeated in 1997. Which is why I was so surprised when they insisted on my Statement of Heterosexuality - a fabulous trip down memory lane of failed relationships but stating "there is hope!"
Maya is in Astana, the capitol of Kazakhstan. From what I have heard it is quite architectually interesting. I'll let you know. All I have been able to focus on so far is that it is below zero there now. I am just not a cold weather girl! This bizarre winter we are having now in Denver is killing me and I keep thinking, man it is going to be sooooooo much colder there!

No comments: