Friday, January 26, 2007

Tips for families in process

There are things that I wish I had known before coming over so I thought I'd jot them down as they come up and edit this post. I don't know how much of this applies to other regions in Kazakhstan but I've found to be true in Astana.

- no matter how much money the agency tells you to bring - bring A LOT more either in cash or MC/VISA (Astana anyway doesn't take American Express except to draw cash). Beehet went over all of the fixed expenses of my trip both here and in Almaty on my 2nd day. Needless to say, I do not have enough beyond fixed expenses. Apparently this happens to a lot of families.
-it is customary to bring a cash donation for the Baby House. Ask your cooridinator how much. It is given at the end to the Head Doctor.
-The Baby House is HOT!!!! Wear layers. I wore a tank top with a cotton sweater over it yesterday and still hot. Everyone wears t-shits/tank tops and jeans.
-You can buy just about anything you need for toiletries, etc at similiar prices to US. EXCEPT for DIAPERS. They are outrageously expensive here. $20-30 depending on brand and size pack. But the rest helps keep your baggage weight down. I packed all of it and was 14 lbs over.
-Definitely bring a laptop if you can. Most apartments will have cable internet access($100/month and as fast as at home). Much more comfortable than internet cafe.
- you are only in a hotel for a night or two when you first arrive. I think it is worth the extra money to stay in a nice hotel. I stayed in a cheaper hotel for only one night in a room that wreaked of smoke. All of my clothes smelled like I'd been in a bar even though they weren't unpacked. And a nice hotel probably has internet access to let family know you arrived safely. My hotel had no internet and couldn't get through to the US on the LAN line.
-SKYPE!!! The best invention!
www.skype.com You can sign up for free, have your family sign up for free - add each other to your address books and talk for free through your computers! You just need to pack a headset with a USB plug at the end (at any Circuit City or Best Buy) and have family get one. FAB!
That is all I can think of for now.

No comments: