Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My little Love





How cute is my precious little chunkster?! This is day 2 and already taken a million pictures, I've narrowed it down to these few. Of course more to come! I met Maya yesterday, Monday the 22nd at the Baby House in here in Astana. She is just perfect. Healthy, active, and a cuddler. She has a great laugh and scrunches her whole face when she does. Maya was born on June 15, 2006 (my dear friend Deidre's birthday, not to mention 2 of her 3 children's birthday). She was 6 lbs at birth and now 19 lbs. She is very curious and has to check out everything going on in a room. She fights sleep for fear of missing something good (very much like her Grandmother). On the floor she is trying sooooo hard to crawl. The nurses all love her and tell me (via translator) that she is such a good girl and "clever". I think they mean curious. The Baby House is outstanding. Colorful, cheery, toys and stuffed animals in every room. Doctors, Nurses and caretakers everywhere. They couldn't be nicer or more attentive. There are several American families here and the playroom during visting hours is packed.
Astana
It is cooooold here! 10 below zero when I arrived on Sunday. My flights here were uneventful. My coordinator, Beehet, translator, Gusana, and my driver met me at the airport at 8am. They are just wonderful people - caring, funny and easy to be with. Beehet's cell phone ring is the sound of a baby laughing - cracks me up every time. I feel very fortunate. We accomplished a lot that first day except for the most important thing - calling my Mother!!!! I could not believe in a city were everyone has a cell phone, we couldn't get a LAN line to call the US. It was very frustrating. I didn't get through until Monday. The good news is that once I did, I was able to tell my Mom she was a Grandmother. And just in time. I am pretty sure the Kazak police were going to be notified of an all points bulletin in a matter of hours. So sorry again Mom.
I moved into my apartment yesterday. It is large, comfortable on the 8th floor - I have a beautiful view of the city. The cable guy hooked up my internet here this afternoon.
Astana feels a lot like New York City, people drive so fast and pay no attention to cars driving right at them or people crossing the street – insane. People for the most part do not smile and just shove if you are in their way. I asked Gusana if they don’t like Americans, she said no, that is just how they are. If you smile at them, they think you must be crazy. The women are beautiful - all tall, slender, and stylish. Boots, bags, coats (fur or fur lined) and hat - all out out of Vogue. They all wear high heels even though all of the sidewalks are a block of ice. Reminds me a lot of Paris. The men are HANDSOME. GOD! My landlord is so hot, I am calling him for many, many repairs. They are tall, strong facial features, and well dressed. I wish there was a Man House I could go to after the Baby house and complete the family. Beehet (speaks no english) catches me staring often, laughs and says boyfriend! All and all I am incredibly fortunate for CAI (my agency), the Baby House, and of course most of all my baby girl.



7 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah! What a cutie!

Kristen B. said...

Kimberly! What a doll of a daughter you have - we are so thrilled for you, and cannot WAIT to meet Maya!

;) said...

Oh my God....she is so adorable! And you said she would likely be underweight! She looks so healthy and happy. Todd and I are so happy for you. We will look forward to meeting Maya and settig up some play dates!

Alison

Unknown said...

Kimberly
We are so thrilled for you! Maya is beautiful. I was sure she would be small and now we hear that she weighs more than Addie, who just turned 1! We are thinking of you and hope all is well.
The Migas

cfrank said...

Curious now... Clever will come on her 13th birthday! You look very happy and what a beautiful little Maya you have. Very excited for you and looking forward to more pictures and posts. All the best to you and your baby girl!
Cari

Deidre said...

Oh Kim! She is so precious and so happy!! And you are just glowing as well....it is wonderful to see:)

Donna must be dying!! I heard she already commissioned Father Goggin to fly out to Colorado to baptize Maya:)

Love to you and your beautiful girl!
Love, Deidre and fam

Christine said...

Dear Kimberley,

She is gorgeous and you two look soooo happy together!! I can't wait to show the pictures to the girls. Congratulations!