Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Paper Pregnancy

This posting is mostly for families in the process or thinking of beginning the process of international adoption. One thing I really wanted to know when I started this was how much time to expect for each phase. I drove my angel case worker, Ashley, CRAZY with this. The agency will give you the averages and typically very conservative estimates. I wanted to hear from people who went through this recently. So I hope this is helpful.

My first call to CAI (Commonwealth Adoption International) was on the 28th of July 2006. Vi Pierce, the agency Director, spent a lot of time with me on the phone. As a single woman, I wasn't sure what my options were. After talking with her, I chose to adopt from Kazakhstan. There is more about Kazakhstan in a separate posting. I signed the contract with CAI 2 days later. Upon signing, you are assigned a case worker. Mine is Ashley. I have to say I am absolutely THRILLED with CAI. Vi, Ashley, Anna, Pam, and my social worker, Diane are just the best people. Ashley will forever be Aunt Ashley to Maya.

The massive paperwork to be completed (the dossier) arrived within days. Fingerprinting, signed and noterized originals stating everything from yes I have health insurance to - no joke - a statement of Hetersexuality (not required by all countries). Then it all gets apostilled. I had no idea what that was (The Secretary of State confirming your notarized copies are legitimate). The agency quotes approximately 4 months for families to get this completed. Part of how long it will take is how quickly you move on it and part is how long it takes the government to get documents to you that you will need for your dossier. I started in August 2006 and had it all apostilled in October 2006.

In addition to the paperwork is your home study. 3 visits total. I finished this in a month but depends on yours and the social workers availability. Since I am self-employed, it was easier to schedule. The social worker's write up is also part of your dossier.

My dossier went out to Kazakhstan in November 2006. So first call to dossier in country, for me, was 4 months. From there, it is country dependent on how long it will take to get a referral. Mine happened much more quickly than expected and I couldn't be more thrilled. For those in process that have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I have been blessed with wonderful families that have answered all of mine and happy to pass that on.

No comments: