Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Bonding Day







Today was Day 3 of the 15 day bonding period before applying for a court date. We decided to go to the 2-4pm visiting hour instead of 10-12pm to see if the playroom was less crowded. Maya and I are still getting familiar with each other and with her intense curiousity, she would never look at me with all the people around. Entering the Baby House each day smells deliciously of fresh baked bread. The caretakers recognize me now. They smile and say to Maya, "Mama!" Beehet continues to be Maya's most favorite person. Maya just looks at her and cracks up. I don't know what she says to her in Russian but Maya finds it funny.



We got lucky and there was only one other family. A very, very nice couple, Dan and Lisa. They are adopting 9 month old TWIN girls. They have a 5 yr old and a 4 yr old girls at home. I brought along clothes this time, binkie, teething ring, and toys.


I promise this is the last post from me gushing about the simpliest things she does as if she is the first child ever in the universe. First child, third day - I find it all miraculous. Forgive me. Maya seemed to focus more on my face this time. Mostly because I wore my hair down and she loved pulling on it. At least it kept her looking at me for a bit. As you see she LOVES her binkie and teething ring. Frequently trying to put both in her mouth at the same time. She has a few teeth already. I read in my book that it is good for them to be on their stomachs to gain strength and learn to crawl. Although after watching Dan and Lisa chase the twins, not sure why I am encouraging that. She is determined little girl. She decided she really wanted my camera. I placed it away from her and called her to me. She did take a couple crawl steps(?) and then pulled herself, crawl steps, pull, but by God she got to that camera. I have to say much of what I do with her reminds me of being with my dogs as puppies. Same behavior, different species, I swear. The twins would cry a bit. Maya thinks that is very funny. When one does, she whips her head in the direction of the noise, eyes wide, scrunch of the face and giggle. She coos but I have yet to hear her cry or fuss except to arch her back to get down and explore. By the end of the 2 hours she is content to sit in my lap and rest. I kiss on her face and neck constantly, she opens her mouth as a kiss back. When I stop, she leans in for more. She is a lovey.





Beehet, Gusana, Dan, Lisa and I went to dinner together tonight. $7.00 for pizza and beer. Love it. The food here has been very good and inexpensive. I am in love with Borscht. I need to learn how to make that. The pizza place was in a mall similar to the Cherry Creek mall. Beautiful stores and expensive. Outside of the mall is the most gorgeous light display from Christmas not taken down yet. I'll try to get a picture.





I added Maya's middle name to the blog - Marie. She is the latest in a long line of strong, independent, and fabulous Taylor women to have the middle name Marie. I think my Grandmother would be touched. More pictures, less talk to come. Thank you for all of the kind wishes, they mean so much.

4 comments:

Tracey Kleban said...

I love reading you gush about Maya. The stories are so sweet. Please continue to share. I truly believe that babies know when they are loved. I'm not sure if I will be able to articulate this but here goes. Maya must sense that you are there for her and that allows her to feel secure enough to explore and be distracted by all of the other people in the room when you visit. It all sounds like such an incredible journey. Tracey

Unknown said...

Kimberly,

I am so so excited for you, and have been so happy to read about baby Maya!! She sounds like such an amazing baby and I know how lucky she is to have you! Please continue to share, I love reading about your wonderful adventure. :)

All my best, pamela todd :)

Gluten Free Steve said...

We wish you much happiness together as Mom and Daughter. Happy Mother's Day, as that truly is what this is for you. Maya is adorable and we wish you both nothing but the best in life.

Steve and David

Jodi said...

Kimberly,
I check your site every day excitedly looking for a new post, reading each heartfelt word, and looking for more beautiful photos of Maya. What an amazing time we live in that you can be so far away and share this wonderful experience as it unfolds. I am so happy for you and Maya and I can’t wait to give you both big hugs! Your love is so strong. Maya has yet to learn how lucky she truly is to have you as a Mom!
I wish you both a life of love, good health and safe travels.
Jodi